Planning FAQ

Can I divide my property?

Maybe. Consider several factors, including:

  • Zoning district
  • Current lot dimensions
  • Current acreage
  • Location of existing structures
  • New lot dimensions
  • New lot acreage
  • Possible support for a well and septic system
  • Road frontage
  • Water bodies located on the property
  • Regulated floodplain located on the property

It’s best to consult with a design professional. Assess the area and applicable development stanandards. This assessment may determine division is not possible.

There is a sign posted near to my property with a “Z” on it. What does that mean?

NC General Statutes require noticing for various property actions. For example, zoning classification or special use permit change request. If you see one of these signs posted near your property, call the number on the sign. They will give you additional information about the proposal.

I received a letter about a public hearing at a Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. What does this mean?

NC General Statutes require public notice for various property actions. If you receive a letter from Planning Staff, you most likely live near a site under construction. You are probably next to or across the street from them. The letter is to inform you of the proposal. It provides you the opportunity to seek information in advance of the meeting. It also provides specific information about the meeting. This is in case you want to attend and express support or opposition during the process.

What is the difference between a zoning district and a land use planning district?

Zoning districts get defined in detail in the Cabarrus County Development Ordinance. The ordinance provides information about:

  • permitted uses
  • density and dimensional regulations
  • development standards for the district

A land use planning district is a district described in a Small Area Plan or Land Use Plan. Land use planning districts detail how a particular district or area could develop.

What is the difference between the Development Ordinance and Land Use Planning?

The Ordinance, adopted by the Board of Commissioners, is considered local law. The Ordinance applies to unincorporated properties only. Land Use Planning Documents are also adopted by the Board of Commissioners. These documents serve as a guide for future development. They establish conceptual ideas. Ideas about how different areas of the county should develop and grow. These documents are often collaborative in nature. They include long-range planning strategies for the city or town and county.

Is Cabarrus County responsible for monitoring soil and erosion control measures? What about stormwater on developed or developing sites?

No. Report complaints related to soil and erosion control measures. Also report complaints related to stormwater. Report them to the Mooresville Regional Office.

My street has potholes that need repair. Whom do I call?

Cabarrus County does not build or maintain infrastructure such as roads. Roads in unincorporated Cabarrus County are privately maintained or maintained by NCDOT. Roads or streets in municipalities are maintained by the municipality or by NCDOT. Check the status of a road by visiting the NCDOT Secondary Roads Database. You can also check the NCDOT State Maintained Network Map.

A stop sign is missing at the intersection near my house. Whom do I notify?

NCDOT replaces regulatory traffic control signs, like stop signs and speed limit signs.

Is water and sewer available to develop my property?

Cabarrus County Government does not build or maintain infrastructure. The Water and Sewer Authority is the wholesale provider for the county. The municipalities are the retail providers. Contact the retail provider for the property area with questions. You can also call them to learn more about utility availability.