The Public Health Authority seeks to:
- enhance public/private health care partnerships
- stabilize county dollars going to support health services
- provide consolidation and long-range planning for health services
The authority acts as the local board of health. They protect and promote the public health of the citizens of Cabarrus County.
The Public Health Authority Board is now a 9-member board effective July 1, 2019. This change is the result of new by-laws adopted by the Board on May 14, 2019. The Board of County Commissioners approved these by-laws on June 17, 2019.
Membership on this nine-member authority include those with the following expertise:
- A practicing Dentist whose primary practice is located in Cabarrus County.
- Significant knowledge, expertise and professional experience in the field of infectious diseases.
- A practicing physician in the field of family medicine, internal medicine or community health. Their primary practice must be located in Cabarrus County.
- Leadership-level representative of the Cabarrus County School System or Kannapolis City School System. This leadership must alternate no less often than every two terms.
- A member of the Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners.
- One member appointed by the local governing or advisory board of the main hospital located in Concord, NC. This hospital is currently known as Atrium Health - Cabarrus.
- Three public members. Regarding the fields or businesses generally engaged in by the Authority, members must have significant:
The fields of community health, mental health and/or other areas of community concern are of particular importance. These are the areas identified by the periodic community needs assessment. The Authority along with its community partner conduct this assessment.
- professional experience