Cabarrus County provides opportunities for health promotion as a means to add life to our precious years.
At the Senior Center in Concord, visitors can exercise at our indoor and outdoor fitness centers, walking trail and more.
The Senior Centers in Concord and Mt. Pleasant, and the Kannapolis LunchPlus Club (located at Living Water Church of God) house fitness centers available for older adults. To be eligible for use, an orientation by certified fitness instructors must be completed. Orientations are held at different times for different locations. Contact the Senior Center - Concord at 704-920-3484 for times at all locations.
Located behind the Senior Center in Concord and open to the public is a paved walking trail. In addition, there are horseshoe pits, shuffleboard and bocce courts and a covered outdoor fitness center.
If you are looking for more motivation to stay active, register for a group fitness or dance class from beginner to more advanced levels.
View upcoming classes offered at the senior centers
Cabarrus County's Senior Centers offer more than 100 opportunities for exercise and movement programs each month. Similar programs are offered at the LunchPlus Clubs, located in Concord, Harrisburg, Kannapolis, Midland and Mt. Pleasant. These satellite sites offer wellness classes designed to encourage daily movement and increase muscular strength and range of motion.
Fitness And Dance Classes
Cabarrus County's Senior Centers offer more than 100 opportunities for exercise and movement programs each month. Similar programs are offered at the LunchPlus Clubs, located in Concord, Harrisburg, Kannapolis, Midland and Mt. Pleasant. These satellite sites offer wellness classes designed to encourage daily movement and increase exercise.
Behavior Modification Classes
Along with fitness, the Senior Centers offer behavior modification classes that promote positive lifestyle changes and maintenance. Intermittently, classes are offered throughout the year and include:
- A Matter of Balance, a 4 to 8 week program designed to recognize and address fall prevention and increase activity levels;
- Living Healthy, a 6-week empowerment course for individuals living with chronic health conditions;
- Living Healthy with Diabetes, a highly participatory 6-week workshop designed to understand skills needed for daily management of the disease;
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program, an 8-week session of movements and exercises designed to assist in managing the symptoms of arthritis;
- Arthritis Foundation Tai Chi, a 6-week exercise program designed to improve mobility, relaxation and breathing;
Senior Health And Wellness Expo (SHWE)
Annually, the Senior Centers present a health and wellness exposition to promote local health resources and wellness education to the aging community. SHWE is packed full of FREE information and activities, including health screenings (glucose, cholesterol, hearing, bone density and more), interactive educational sessions and many health and wellness related exhibitors. Seniors learn and enjoy fellowship among friends.