The Low Income Energy Assistance Program provides for one-time assistance. This payment must help eligible families pay their heating bills. You may apply January 1 through March 31. If you are age 60 or older, or are disabled and working with DHS Adult and Family Services, you may apply in December.
A household that applies must meet certain criteria
- Meet income guidelines
- Have reserves at or below $2,250
- Be responsible for its heating bills
- Contain a US citizen or an eligible alien with proof of legal citizenship
A household that applies must provide certain information
- Proof of all income for everyone in the household for the month prior to application (pay stubs, social security payments, self-employment income, etc).
- Copy of primary heating bill (electricity, natural or propane gas, fuel oil, etc).
- Proof of cash-on-hand, savings and checking.
- Proof of assets such as mutual funds, stocks and bonds.
- Social Security numbers and dates of birth for everyone in the household.