Registered Motor Vehicles FAQs

An owner can apply for a refund of taxes paid when a motor vehicle is sold, registered out of state, or deemed a total loss by insurance (where the taxpayer does not maintain ownership of the vehicle).

The refund will be calculated on any full calendar months remaining in the registration period after the license plate is surrendered to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.

Within one year of surrendering the license plates, the owner must present the following to the county tax office:

  • Proof of plate surrender to NCDMV (DMV Form FS20)
  • Copy of the Bill of Sale, copy of the new state’s registration, or copy of a letter from an insurance company that the vehicle was a total loss.

Contact the tax office at (704) 920 – 2166 option 2 or email the required documentation, within 1-year of the tag turn in date, to or mail to:

Cabarrus County Tax Assessor
Attn: Registered Motor Vehicles
PO Box 707
Concord, NC 28026

The Tag Fee is a flat fee assessed on all registered vehicles located within some cities of Cabarrus County. It is not based on the value of the vehicle, nor is it pro-ratable if the vehicle is sold.

Please contact the NCDMV or a local License Plate Agency for a Revised Notification at (919) 814 – 1779.


Please refer to our Individual Personal Property page for questions related to GAP billing


This information is provided to you with the registration on your vehicle. You can also look up these payments using the North Carolina DMV website on their MyDMV login page.

Property taxes vary on vehicles based on value and where it is being registered. You can receive an estimation of the taxes that will be due on the North Carolina DMV website using the Vehicle Property Tax Estimator.

Please contact the NCDMV at (919) 814 – 1779. They will need to update either the address or the tax county in their records. If you have already paid the taxes, please contact us at (704) 920 – 2166 option 2, or email us at

We are happy to assist you. Please contact us by calling (704) 920 – 2166 option 2, or by emailing