Adults who are at risk of placement in an adult care home may qualify for assistance to remain at home instead. The Special Assistance In-Home Program (SA/IH) helps those that have a safe home environment. Individuals must qualify. They must also demonstrate a need for additional financial services to continue living independently. SA/IH can assist with essential expenses such as:
- other daily necessities associated with a private living arrangement
A case manager works with participants determining the need for SA/IH assistance. They must also determine the purpose for the assistance. The case manager monitors to assure funds get used for the intended purposes. They must also ensure the participant remains safely at home.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must require the same level of care as provided by an adult care facility (confirmed by a medical doctor)
- Must express a desire to live at home or in another private living setting
- Must have income below the federal poverty level and be eligible for Medicaid
- If not already receiving Medicaid, they must fill out an application. They must be eligible for both Medicaid and SA In-Home payments.
- Must demonstrate a need for added financial support to remain safely at home
- With services, they can have health, safety and well-being maintained at home
There are a limited number of SA/IH slots available in Cabarrus. Applicants may get placed on a wait list. Once there is an availability, applicants must fill out an SA/IH medicaid application. They will then be referred to an SA/IH case manager for assessment in the home.