Cabarrus County practices energy conservation in all its facilities. Here are some examples:
- Replacing T-12 fluorescent lights with more energy efficient T-8 fluorescent lights.
- Use of compact fluorescent lights (CFL's) and light emitting diode lighting (LED's).
- Installation of motion sensors in certain areas.
- Implementation of an automated computer shutdown system.
- Applying "Turn Off Lights" stickers on light switch plates.
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems allows better control. Automated temperatures in County buildings are more efficient.
- Charting energy usage in all County buildings and establishing energy reduction targets.
We are seeing positive results. In 2007, the Governmental Center's average monthly electricity usage was 170,000 kWh. Today, it's only 123,000 kWh.