Marriage License Requirements
A marriage license may be obtained in any NC county and used anywhere in NC within 60 days. After the ceremony, the license must be returned to the issuing County. The cost of the license is $60.
Online Marriage License Application
- Fill out the online marriage license application.
- Follow welcome instructions to complete and submit the marriage license application. It will get submitted electronically to the Register of Deeds Office.
- Within 15 days of submitting the electronic application, both applicants must come in. They both must physically come into the office to obtain the license.
When Visiting The Office
Marriage licenses are issued from 8 am to 4 pm only. Arrive to the office by 3:30 pm so your license can be completed by 4 pm.
An executed divorce judgment is required for those previously married (no exceptions).
One of the following is required to prove identity/birth date. ID must NOT be expired:
- Any State-issued ID card or driver’s license
- Military ID card
- Both applicants must come into the office to apply for the marriage license.
- Identification presented cannot be expired
- Social security number required or an affidavit of ineligibility. We do not ask to see you social security card.
- Applicants must provide the month and year of the death of spouse. If divorced, a copy of the divorce judgment certificate is required.
- With proper ID, persons age 18 and over may marry without parental consent.
- Persons ages 16 and 17 may marry with consent. Consent must be by the custodial parent. The entity having legal custody or serving as guardian can also give consent. Documents proving custody or guardianship are required. Proper ID and a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate are also required. The parent signing for applicant must show picture ID.
- Persons ages 14 and 15 may marry, but are required to have a court order. This court order must allowing them to obtain a marriage license in NC. Contact the Clerk of Superior Court's office to learn more about this procedure.
Submit an Online Vital Records Request
The Register of Deeds Office issues certified copies of marriage certificates. The certificates must be filed in Cabarrus County and are issued only upon request. These are only issued to the proper person or immediate family members. You must have identification when obtaining certified copies. A certified copy is $10 and an uncertified copy, sent by mail, is $1. The Register of Deeds Office accepts cash, check, Visa or Master Card.