Submit an Online Vital Records Request
The Deeds Office issues certified copies of birth, marriage or death certificates. These certificates must have been filed in Cabarrus County. These are only issued to the proper person or immediate family members. You must have identification when obtaining certified copies. A certified copy is $10 and an uncertified copy, sent by mail, is $1. The Register of Deeds Office accepts cash, check, Visa or Master Card.
Marriage licenses are issued from 8 am until 4 pm only.
View Marriage License Requirements
Marriages in Cabarrus County started when the County was formed in 1792. Marriage bonds from 1792 to 1855 are in the Department of Archives and History in Raleigh. Indexes to those bonds are in the Register of Deeds Office. Originals from 1856 to present are found in the Register of Deeds Office.
The Register of Deeds Office keeps copies of NC birth and death records. The State began recording these in late 1913.
Out-of-County Birth Certificate
The Register of Deeds Office is legally authorized by the State Registrar. Authorization to issue copies of birth certificates from the Statewide Birth Database. This database is maintained by the NC Vital Records Office in Raleigh. This program enables us to issue certified abstract copies of a birth certificate. These copies can be for a person born anywhere in NC from 1971 forward. You should not use this system if any of the following conditions apply to your request:
- The individual was born prior to 1971.
- You don't have correct birth facts (name, birth year, mother's maiden name).
- The individual was adopted.
- You want an image copy of the complete birth certificate rather than an abstract.
- The individual's birth was a delayed birth registration. This is for registrations more than one year after the fact of birth.
- Either or both parents listed on the certificate were born in a country other than:
- Puerto Rico
- Virgin Islands
- You are not willing to pay $24 for a search and one certified copy. Each additional certified copy of the same certificate is $15.
In accordance with NC General Statute 130-93.1(a)(1), a charge of $14 for each search in this system gets assessed. This gets charged whether the record is located or not. Furthermore, only certain individuals may obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate. These individuals are:
- the individual whose certificate is requested
- his/her immediate family
- a legal representative of any of these individuals
Anyone may obtain an uncertified copy.
You can get a certified or uncertified abstract copy of a birth certificate. These come from the Statewide Birth Database. Upon agreeing to the above conditions, contact Cabarrus County Register of Deeds Office.