Through visionary leadership and good stewardship, we will administer state requirements, ensure public safety, determine County needs and provide services to continually enhance quality of life.
Our vision for Cabarrus is a county where our children learn, our citizens participate, our dreams matter, our families and neighbors thrive and our community prospers.
Strategic Plan Dashboard
The strategic plan provides guidance for the Board of Commissioners and County staff. The goal is to work towards meeting the same goals and objectives.
- Healthy and Safe Community
- Transparent and Accountable Government
- Culture and Recreation
- Thriving Economy
- Sustainable Development
Each strategic priority is accompanied by more defined goals and objectives. County staff measure performance related to these goals and objectives each year.
View the County's Goals, Objectives, and Performance Measures
Strategic Priority: Healthy and Safe Community
Sustain a culture where safety is a shared priority for residents, businesses, employees and visitors.
- Objective 1: Promote public safety and emergency preparedness by educating stakeholders on the capabilities and functions of government services.
- Objective 2: Develop resiliency in our community to withstand and recover from events detrimental to public health and safety.
- Objective 3: Work with public safety, governmental and non-governmental agencies, to provide quality service and improve efficiency.
- Objective 4: Build community relationships that encourage collaboration, communication, trust and understanding with public safety officers.
Improve the physical and mental circumstances of residents by connecting them to community resources to enhance their quality of life.
- Objective 1: Partner with community organizations/municipalities providing affordable/emergency housing; address homelessness/food insecurity.
- Objective 2: Promote and educate accessibility and availability of environmental services.
- Objective 3: Connect veterans with necessary resources and services.
- Objective 4: Enhance accessibility of services and programs for people with disabilities.
Promote and engage quality of life initiatives to foster a healthy and safe community.
- Objective 1: Collaborate with community members to assess and evaluate mental and physical wellness.
- Objective 2: Provide opportunities and access for physical activity and nutrition education.
- Objective 3: Actively recruit behavioral health services and resources specific to our community.
- Objective 4: Strengthen outreach, communication and education to residents about access to health benefits and services.
- Objective 5: Ensure early education of youth and parents about mental health, substance abuse and risky behaviors to guide better wellness choices and healthy life balance.
Strategic Priority: Culture and Recreation
Create a community that recognizes the basic human need for physical and intellectual development.
- Objective 1: Support and initiate positive methods of expression across diverse communities.
- Objective 2: Foster collaboration and partnerships to increase personal growth opportunities that support lifelong learning.
- Objective 3: Support and initiate arts opportunities that reach diverse communities.
- Objective 4: Ensure programming is inclusive of all people, all abilities and all skill levels.
Enhance policies, facilities and land to foster diverse cultural and recreational opportunities.
- Objective 1: Develop a land acquisition plan and determine priorities within that plan.
- Objective 2: Create a master plan for amenities and facilities that incorporates community partner assets.
- Objective 3: Facilitate strategic partnerships that maximize community resources to accommodate programming demands.
- Objective 4: Establish a reliable, sustainable funding plan for maintenance and expansion of facilities.
Strategic Priority: Sustainable Growth and Development
Promote responsible and strategic County-wide growth.
- Objective 1: Provide community education on zoning and ordinance differences between the County and municipalities.
- Objective 2: Collaborate with municipalities on long-term plans for infrastructure and growth.
- Objective 3: Encourage growth in/near municipal limits, for utility availability, and follow Cabarrus County School construction design guidelines.
- Objective 4: Facilitate collaboration between jurisdictions on land use planning and development.
- Objective 5: Provide economical solid waste disposal solutions for the future.
Promote, support and address sustainable open space, forestry practices and farming.
- Objective 1: Advocate for agriculture through public awareness.
- Objective 2: Encourage participation of landowners in Present Use Value taxation, open space, and viable agriculture uses of land.
- Objective 3: Become a role model for sustainability by using native plants, keeping open spaces and wise use of natural resources.
Strategic Priority: A Thriving Economy
Promote, grow and sustain a diverse economic base through collaborative community partnerships.
- Objective 1: Promote competitively through governmental, educational, and community-based incentives.
- Objective 2: Recruit businesses that offer sustainable jobs with competitive wages.
- Objective 3: Create public awareness and understanding of economic development.
Invest in opportunities that promote self-sufficiency and empowerment to our current and future workforce.
- Objective 1: Ensure and improve access to apprenticeships and training programs.
- Objective 2: Provide transportation to career technical education for high school students.
- Objective 3: Attract businesses / employers that support skilled labor, on-the-job training, and post-secondary education.
- Objective 4: Prioritize and improve socio-economic supports and quality-of-life measures through community partnerships.
- Objective 5: Support and advocate for quality care and education for children ages 0-5.
Strategic Priority: Transparent and Accountable Government
Ensure an engaged and accountable workforce to provide exceptional service.
- Objective 1: Recruit and retain service-minded, innovative and technically skilled employees.
- Objective 2: Ensure our workforce is diverse, inclusive and reflective of the community.
- Objective 3: Offer competitive compensation and benefits to allow employees to thrive.
- Objective 4: Provide development opportunities to enhance current skill sets, leadership development and succession planning.
- Objective 5: Increase opportunities for employee engagement and community involvement.
Perform analysis, forecasting and reporting to ensure effective stewardship of funds and longevity of current and future County assets.
- Objective 1: Establish, evaluate and follow policies and procedures to safeguard County assets.
- Objective 2: Utilize fair and equitable methods to assess property values.
- Objective 3: Improve forecasting of large total cost of ownership expenditures for County-owned facilities and equipment.
- Objective 4: Evaluate current per-square-foot operating expense strategies.
- Objective 5: Employ new techniques and strategies to increase efficiency of facility operations.
- Objective 6: Promote collaboration with stakeholders and management to better understand vision, direction and priorities.
- Objective 7: Strengthen relationships with partners and customers to better understand needs and expectations.
Create opportunities for people to see value in the work of County government.
- Objective 1: Facilitate interactions with respect and professionalism.
- Objective 2: Educate the community on ways to participate in services, programs and events.
- Objective 3: Motivate the community to participate in the governmental process.
- Objective 4: Distribute information that is clear, relevant and timely.
- Objective 5: Communicate, inform and educate internal and external stakeholders on the allocation of County resources.
Develop creative technological solutions to support County services.
- Objective 1: Facilitate data-driven decision making by employing dashboards and targeted measures.
- Objective 2: Utilize collaborative technology and shared services.
Approved by the Board of Commissioners, December 16, 2019.