Dive in to this week's episode of the CTW and discover the majesty of underwater creatures
Feb. 24, 2014 -- At Sea Life Aquarium visitors travel from the fresh waters of the Catawba River in the Blue Ridge Mountains, to the salt waters of the Atlantic Ocean and beyond in about an hour. The aquarium contains nearly 150,000 gallons of water, 20 displays and 5,000 amazing creatures, including sharks, stingrays, an octopus, seahorses, jellyfish and thousands of colorful fish. The grand opening celebrated with the unveiling of a custom mural painted by area children.
The 180-degree ocean tunnel allows visitors to see sharks, rays and other fish swim right over their heads. An interactive touch-pool lets you to feel the textures of sea life without fear of pinching. You can learn all about seahorses and even discover which parent carries the babies. You won’t want to miss the highly intelligent Giant Pacific octopus, the largest octopus species in the world. The aquarium also features an educational video theatre and a children’s soft play area.
Sea Life supports running global breeding programs for 13 species of endangered rays as well as the largest seahorse network in the world. They also support eliminating pollution and ongoing marine protection programs across the globe. Sea Life Aquarium aims to educate the community and celebrate the sea and its inhabitants. They hope to inspire others in preserving our marine heritage for future generations.
- "Seven Silent Films" Film Screening, Feb. 27, Davis Theatre
- Cabarrus Cooperative Extension Plant Sale, Feb. 28, ordering deadline
- Rain Barrels for Your Home, March 1, Frank Liske Park
- Basic Computer Course, March 4, Harrisburg Library
- Brand New Opry Band, March 6, Davis Theatre
- Charlotte Hamfest, March 7-8, Cabarrus Arena
- Senior Games Social and Clinic, March 7, Concord Senior Center
- The Sneaky Chef: Simple Secrets to get your Kids Eating Healthy, March 10, Health Alliance Kitchen
- Senior Health and Wellness Day, March 12, Cabarrus Arena
- Altered Books, March 6, Kannapolis Library and March 8, Concord Library
- Book Discussion, March 4 and March 11, Concord Library or March 11, Kannapolis Library
- Mystery Hunt and Tour, March 11, Village parking lot (280 Concord Parkway South, Concord)
- Shelf Room Contest, submissions required by March 15, drop off at any branch of the Library
- Google for Beginners, March 13, Concord Library
- Beginning Vegetable Workshop, March 15, Elma C Lomax Farm
- Rabies Vaccinations for Dogs & Cats, March 12, Cabarrus Animal Shelter
- NY Export: Opus Jazz Film Screening, March 13, Davis Theatre