Feb. 3, 2014 -- The Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is where all hazardous items should be brought, instead of throwing them in the trash can. The Household Hazardous Waste Facility provides a safe place to dispose of materials that can hurt the environment and damage the health of humans and animals. There is a long list of items considered hazardous that should not wind up in our landfills because they could contaminate our soil and water. Among these hazardous items are nail polish, oven cleaner, paint, pesticides, bathroom and kitchen cleaners, fluorescent bulbs, and a lot more.
Most of Cabarrus County households have access to curbside recycling. But if your area does not have curbside recycling, you can bring your recyclables here. The Household Hazardous Waste Facility not only is a great place to dispose of items, you also can make an appointment to swap your old paint for a free can of paint for your home.
The Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is located at 246 General Services Drive in Concord (off Hwy 49 near Hwy 601). It is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. However, the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility will accept household hazardous materials only on the 1st Wednesday of each month from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. and 3rd Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m.
For more information, or to make a paint swap appointment at the Cabarrus County Household Hazardous Waste Facility, call 704-920-3209.
Watch this week's episode of CTW for details on the following programs and events:
- Summer and Smoke, Old Courthouse Theatre, Feb. 6-23
- Valentines Venture Hike, Frank Liske Park, Feb. 8
- Teen Writing Workshop, Mt. Pleasant Library & Concord Library, Feb. 8
- Sophisticats Hearts a Fire Show, Cabarrus Arena, Feb. 8-9
- Mac Arnold and Plate Full O’ Blues, Davis Theatre, Feb. 8
- Chocolicious with Gina Guthrie, Harrisburg Library, Feb. 11
- Master Gardening Course, Cabarrus Cooperative Extension, Feb. 13-May 1
- Basic Sign Language, Mt. Pleasant Senior Center, Feb. 13-Mar. 20
- Valentine’s Day Breakfast, Mt. Pleasant Senior Center, Feb. 14
- Lore Room Resources, Concord Library, Feb. 15
- Great Backyard Bird Count, Frank Liske, Camp TN Spencer and North Cabarrus Parks, Feb. 15
- Carolina Bridal Fair, Cabarrus Arena, Feb. 16
- Discovery Day Camp Registration, begins Feb. 17
- The Struggle for Social Justice, Concord Library, Feb. 17
- Demystifying the Tablet, Harrisburg Library, Feb. 17