New Cabarrus County GIS application launched April 5
March 25, 2014 — More people visit the Cabarrus County Geographic Information Systems (GIS) pages than any other section on the Cabarrus County website. On April 5, Cabarrus will launch its new application, GIS Data Explorer
, which gives the public tools and datasets for comprehensive property research and data extraction. The application replaces the previous version, Cabarrus County GIS – OnPoint Map Viewer.
The GIS Data Explorer application is used primarily by realtors, lawyers, surveyors and others who need in-depth GIS functionality.
To help with the transition, Cabarrus worked with a group of public users during the beta test phase and posted notification of the transition on the current GIS website.
The functionality provided through GIS Data Explorer gives users quick access to information, including current and historical tax and sale data, topographical contours of an area of the County, imagery and parcel data, zoning and permitting information, and other data.
“GIS Data Explorer provides users with detailed information on properties in Cabarrus, including access to historical aerial imagery, historical GIS datasets, reports and links to the County’s permitting and tax systems,” said Zach Woolard, GIS administrator for Cabarrus County’s Information Technology Services department. “We listened to our users and developed a dynamic platform that creates a fast, functional online map.”
Features of the new system:
- Search: Manual, autofill and drop-down search options.
- Interface: Tools for research and data extraction, including a stand-alone identify tool, measuring tools to provide ground measurements and coordinates, and a buffer tool to select property and address information within a specified distance of a point on the map.
- Map data: Cached map, base map datasets and historical imagery.
- Reporting: Along with the standardized map and report, users can download all result sets to a CSV file.
- Integration: With a click, users can access deep links to Cabarrus County’s permitting and tax systems.
- Supported devises: Users can access GIS Data Explorer on their PCs and Macs.
To view a detailed feature comparison between the soon-to-expire OnPoint Map Viewer application and the new GIS Data Explorer application, click here
In addition to GIS Data Explorer, the County will continue to offer access to myCabarrusGIS
, which provides users a fast, simple solution for general information searches on single parcels in Cabarrus.
For more information on Cabarrus County’s GIS applications, visit http://bit.ly/CabarrusGIS
or call Cabarrus County ITS at 704-920-2427.