Cabarrus County athletes shine throughout the spring competition
The Cabarrus County Special Olympic begins with the opening ceremony, which include the parade of athletes and the lighting of the torch. The spring track and field competition is one of the most highly anticipated Special Olympic events of the year.
Special Olympics North Carolina held its first Games in 1970 with 400 participants, and has since grown to be recognized globally as one of the largest Special Olympics programs in the world. Their mission is to provide opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other athletes and the community.
Special Olympics North Carolina offers sports training and competition in 19 Olympic-type sports to children and adults with intellectual disabilities, providing a safe environment for exploration, exercise and team-building. In addition to demonstrating abilities at a competitive level, athletes can receive training in public speaking, become coaches for Special Olympics, receive free health screenings at state-level events and participate in sporting activities year-round.
For more information on the year-round Cabarrus County Special Olympics visit sonc.net/cabarrus or call 704-454-7300.
Watch this week's episode of the CTW for details on the following events and programs:
- 2014 Primary Election Information
- The Public Safety Gov. 101 Experience, May 9
- NCWorks Spring Job Fair, April 16, New Life Baptist Church
- Bunny Run 5K, April 19, Downtown Concord
- Harrisburg’s Easter Egg Hunt, April 17, Harrisburg Park
- Senior Spring Fling Dance, April 25, Concord Senior Center
- SilverArts Follies and Cheerleading Showcase, April 29, Concord Middle School
- Space Jam- Presented by Mr. Music, April 22, Kannapolis Library
- Earth Day Story Time, April 22, Concord Library
- Stories Under the Stars, April 26, Kannapolis Library
- Blackout Poetry, April 30, Kannapolis Library
- TNA Impact Wrestling World Tour, April 18, Cabarrus Arena
- Better Living Home and Gardens Show, April 25-27, Cabarrus Arena
- Low Cost Rabies Vaccinations, April 23, Cabarrus Animal Shelter
- Forks over Knives, April 24, Cabarrus Health Alliance
- Paddleboats and Miniature Golf, Saturdays and Sundays, Frank Liske Park
- Spring Break Camp, April 21-25, Frank Liske Park
- Kaleidoscope Cultural Arts Festival, April 26, Downtown Kannapolis
- Ford Mustang 50th Year Celebration, April 16-20, Charlotte Motor Speedway