Recycling in Unincorporated Cabarrus County

Residents who do not live in a city or town in Cabarrus County are considered to be in the "unincorporated" areas of the county. Curbside Recycling service for single family homes is provided along with trash removal on a subscription basis by Republic Services. They can be reached at 704-393-6900. If you live in an apartment, or choose not to subscribe with Republic, you can use the county-operated Drop-Off recycling centers.

Beginning December 31, 2012, the following changes will take place to the curbside recycling program:

  • The existing 18-gallon recycle bins will be replaced with a blue (with green lid) 96-gallon recycle rollout cart, identical, except for color, to the current garbage cart.
  • The new 96-gallon cart will be collected every other week.
  • Recycling Collection Schedule
  • Beginning the week of December 17, the new recycling carts will begin to be distributed.(This will take place over a 2-week period). A postcard will be attached to each cart. The postcard will provide additional details of the collection process and schedule.
  • The existing 18-gallon recycle bins will be collected during the first week of collection utilizing the new carts. (Customers have the option of keeping the bins).
  • More Information
  • Republic Services has set up a special hotline for questions about new curbside recycling service and carts.

    Hotline number: (704) 262-6017

    Hotline number will be active until January 4, 2013

Select one of the category links for more information


  • Newspaper
  • Magazine/Catalog
  • Office/School/Computer Paper
  • Paperback/Phone Book
  • Junk Mail
  • Cereal/Food/Shoe/Beverage Box
  • Corrugated/Brown Cardboard Box
  • Shredded Paper


  • Bottle/Wide-Mouth #1-7 Plastic Container
  • Glass Bottle/Jar
  • Steel Can (Soup/Vegetable)
  • Aluminum Can (Beverage/Pet Food)
  • Large/Small Appliance
  • Scrap Metal (Grill/Swing Set/Mower)


Items below must be taken to either the Household Hazardous Waste Facility or the Construction and Demolition Landfill. They cannot be placed in a curbside recycling cart or bin.

  • Electronics (Computer/TV/Cell Phone/DVD)
  • Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
  • Car/Truck/Boat/Household Batteries
  • Cooking Oil
  • Motor Oil/Filters
  • Antifreeze
  • Tires
  • Wooden Pallets