- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Training and Standards require a high school equivalent diploma be at least partial classroom.
- Must possess or be able to possess a North Carolina driver’s license.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor.
- Must meet applicable standards and Cabarrus County Sheriff's' Office requirements as well as qualify for State Law Enforcement Certification in accordance with the NC Sheriffs’ Training and Standards Commission.
- Must live in Cabarrus or one of its adjoining counties.
- Starting Pay - $32,823.98
- Vacation / Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- Paid on the Job Training
- Employee Health Insurance
- Employee Dental Insurance
- Employee Vision Insurance
- County Retirement
- 401k Retirement
Nature of Work
Detention Officer I (DO I) is responsible for custodial work with transportation, security and supervision of prisoners in the Cabarrus County Detention Facility (CCDF). DO I performs a variety of duties relative to the care; direct supervision, desk duty and transportation of inmates. Work is performed in accordance with the CCDF policies and procedures, NC Department of Human Resources guidelines, and the Training and Standards Council of the Department of Justice of NC. Work is performed under the direct supervision of that employee’s squad or area supervisor. The applicant must be willing to work 12-hour rotating shifts which includes holidays and weekends.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws governing operation of the CCDF.
- Knowledge of forms, records, and reports used in the detention facility.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to maintain discipline and order among inmates.
- Ability to work in a confined area.
- Ability to deal firmly and courteously with inmates and visitors.
- Ability to use sound judgment in both routine and emergency situations.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers.
Examples of Work
- Patrol the detention facility, maintains inmate head-count and gate or door security within and outside the detention facility.
- Book, search, and collect property from inmates and advise all inmates of policies that govern conduct while in the detention facility. Supervise inmate cleanliness of self, quarters, surrounding areas, and laundry.
- May assist in serving meals to inmates.
- Answer phones, file inmate folders and keep records of inmates’ visitation, showers, medications, and other procedures.
- Transport and escort inmates to various locations.
- Perform other duties and work as required.