As of December 1, 1995 residents of NC may be eligible for a permit allowing them to carry a concealed handgun under specific conditions. No other weapons can be carried concealed pursuant to this permit. Once issued, the permit is valid throughout NC for a period of 5 years, unless it is revoked. You must apply to your County's Sheriff Office in order to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit.
Beginning June 1, 2010 the Sheriff’s Office will be accepting applications for Concealed Handgun Permits by appointment only. This applies to New and Renewal applications.
To apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit (New or Renewal), you must complete an application and make an appointment by visiting https://my.cabarruscounty.us and registering for an account. Once you register for an account, you will see the option to apply for a Concealed Carry Handgun Permit. After completing the application and submitting the credit card payment, you will set an appointment time to come in and sign an application packet (must be signed and notarized in person). For New applicants, you will also be fingerprinted during your appointment. The application fee is required up-front, and is non-refundable.
For NEW concealed handgun permits, bring the following to your appointment:
- Valid NC Driver’s License/ID (showing your correct address)
- Original certificate of completion for firearms safety course
- DD-214 or similar proof of military discharge status for applicants that have previously served in the military. (one copy for every tour of duty)
- Proof of US citizenship if you were born outside the US (Naturalization Certificate or valid US Passport)
If making application to RENEW a concealed handgun permit you would not need to bring another copy of your Firearms Safety Course Certificate or DD-214 form, unless you have completed another term of military service.
A criminal background check is conducted on ALL applicants. Approved applicants must (among other things):
- Be a citizen of the US (born or naturalized)
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have been a resident of Cabarrus County for the past 30 days prior to filing the application (or proof of dual residence, call for further)
- Not suffer from any physical or mental infirmity which would prevent the safe handling and operation of a firearm
- Successfully complete an approved firearms training and safety course
You will be notified by phone when your permit is ready for pick up. Permits must be picked up in person at the Sheriff’s Office Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm. You must present your valid NC Driver’s License. If your permit is denied you will receive a written explanation from this office.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to renew the permit before it expires. The permit will expire at 12 am on the date listed on the card. A recently passed law (GS14-415.16(e) states if a permitee does not apply to renew the permit prior to its expiration date but does apply to renew the permit within 60 days after the permit expires, the Sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety and training course. This does not extend the expiration date of the permit. Renewals in this case will cost $90. You can renew your permit up to 90 days prior to the expiration date. If a permit expires you may not carry your weapon concealed until a new permit has been obtained.
Concealed Handgun Permit Cost:
- First time applications - $90 (non-refundable permit/fingerprint fee)
- Renewal applications - $75 (if fingerprints are not on file $85)
- Upon expiration, but less than 60 days after expiration of your permit, you may apply as a new applicant - $90 (non-refundable permit/fingerprint fee)
- Beyond 60 days of permit expiration, you must complete another safety course and reapply - $90 (non-refundable permit/fingerprint fee)
The list of States recognizing NC's concealed handgun permittees is updated frequently, and can be viewed at http://www.ncdoj.gov.
Applicants moving from one NC County to another must apply for an address change through the county from which they are moving from. To apply for an address change you must provide a NC Drivers License or NC ID with the new address.
If you have any questions regarding Concealed Handgun Permits you may contact us at 704-920-3100 or email email@example.com.
Having issues submitting your application? Contact the Helpdesk at 704-920-2154.