A marriage license may be obtained in any NC County and be used anywhere in NC within 60 days. After the ceremony, the license must be returned to the issuing County. The cost of the license is $60.
Fill out the marriage license application
and submit it to the Register of Deeds office. Follow the instructions on the welcome page. Both applicants must come into the office within 15 days of submitting the application to obtain the license.
One of the following is required to prove identity/birth date. ID must NOT be expired:
- any State issued ID card or drivers license
- military ID card
Marriage licenses will be issued from 8 am until 4:30 pm only. Be in the office by 4 pm so your license can be completed by 4:30.
- both applicants must come into the Register of Deeds office to apply for the marriage license.
- identification presented cannot be expired
- social security number required (we do not ask to see you social security card) or an affidavit of ineligibility
- applicants must provide the month and year of their last divorce or death of spouse - if a divorce/death was within the last 30 days, a certified copy of the divorce judgment/death certificate is required
- persons age 18 and over may marry without parental consent with proper ID
- persons ages 16 & 17 may marry with consent by the custodial parent or the person, agency or institution having legal custody or serving as guardian - documents proving custody or guardianship are required along with proper ID and a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate - parent signing for applicant must show picture ID
- persons ages 14 & 15 may marry, but are required to have a court order allowing them to obtain a marriage license in NC - contact the Clerk of Superior Court's office to learn more about this procedure