Documents executed on or after July 1, 2002, must meet GS 161-14(b) as follows:
- printed on 8 1/2 in. x 11 in. or 8 1/2 in. x 14 in. (letter or legal size) paper
- 3-in. blank margin at the top of the first page and 1/2-in. blank margins remaining sides of the first page and on all sides of subsequent pages
- typed or printed in black ink on white paper
- font size no smaller than 10 pt - blanks in an instrument and corrections to an instrument may be done in pen
- only one-sided type/printed text
- type of instrument stated at top of first page below required blank margin
If the above requirements are not met, the Register of Deeds shall record the document after collecting the non-standard fee of $25 along with the recording fee. If the instrument is non-standard due to the font size being smaller than 10 pt, the Register of Deeds has the discretion to consider it legible and not charge the non-standard fee.
UCCs prepared on the standard National or State forms are exempt from the recording standards. Satisfactions are also exempt.
If the acknowledgement date in the notary certificate is prior to July 1, 2002, the non-standard fee shall not be charged.