The children's room offers story times, programs and other activities for children.
Children's Summer Programming for June 13 - August 13
Story times for children include the following:
- Baby Story Time - Presented each Monday at 9:30am. Songs, stories and finger plays, followed by play time for babies and networking for parents. Ages 0 – walking with caregiver.
- Toddler Story Time - Presented each Tuesday at 9:30am and 10:30am. Stories, songs, finger plays and more. Toddler story time is appropriate for children walking to 3 years.
- Preschool Story Time - Presented each Monday at 10:30am and 11:30am. Stories, songs, finger plays, movement and more. Ages 3-5 years with caregiver.
- Family Story Time - Presented each Thursday at 11:00am and 6pm and every Saturday at 11am. Stories, songs, movement and more for children and families of all ages.
Regular events for children include the following:
- On Your Mark, Get Set...Read Programs - Stories, activities and crafts every Tuesday at 3pm for ages 5-12 years. Contact the library for groups of 15 or more.
- League of Extraordinary Legos - We'll bring the LEGOs, you bring your imagination! Program is held the fourth Wednesday 2-4pm for ages 4-12 years.
- Reading Tails - Be a "winning" reader with Wynn, the therapy dog. Read aloud stories of your choosing. Program is held 3-5pm the first and third Mondays of each month for ages 4-12 years with caregiver.
- Writing Workshop - Come and bring out the creative writer in you. Also, explore books to spark your writing. Program is held every Friday at 11am for ages 7-12 years.
- Theater Workshop - Learn about the theatre, explore books and bring out the actor in you. Presented at 3pm Monday June 20 and Monday July 18 for ages 7-12 years. Space is limited and registration is required.
- Creative Adventures - Craft and book talk. Program is held at 3pm on Thursday June 23 and Thursday July 28 for children ages 6-12 years.
- Crafternoon - Drop in for crafts. Program is held the third Thursday 3-5pm for children of all ages.
- STEAM Fridays - Drop in for some STEAM activities (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math). Every Friday 2-5pm for all ages.
Summer Reading Program
- Read to Me Program: Ages 0-5 years
- Summer Reading Program: Ages 6-12 years
Children will receive a reading record, stamp and book upon completing required reading time:
- 10 hours ages 0-5 years
- 15 hours ages 6-12
Special Events and Presentations
June 15: Grey Seal Puppets
June 22: NC Zoo Animal Olympics
July 13: Storyteller Barbara Locklear
July 27: Jump Brunch
August 3: Sciencetellers
Stories Under the Stars Family Series - Library Patio. Co-sponsored by Kannapolis Parks and Recreation. In the event of rain or extreme heat, performances will be held inside the library with the exception of the Ballet. Popcorn will be provided by the GEM Theatre with the exception of the Ballet.
June 25: Flow Circus - Juggler Humorist
July 23: Piedmont Dance Ballet presents Pirates - Village Park Amphitheater
August 20: Martha Reed Johnson - Storyteller/Humorist