Establishing Child Support

What is a Child Support Order?

The court must issue a support order before a non-custodial parent can be made to pay Child Support.

The Child Support agency will first attempt to negotiate with the non-custodial parent to obtain a court order, which is called a voluntary support agreement. A court appearance is not required for this action.

If the non-custodial parent does not voluntarily agree to provide support, a civil court action must be initiated to obtain a support order.