Guardianship is a legal relationship in which someone (the guardian) is authorized by the clerk of superior court to be a substitute decision maker for an incompetent adult (the ward). Incompetence is determined in a court proceeding and means an individual is unable to manage his own affairs, or is unable to make important decisions.

Currently, the Adult Protection, Guardianship, and Monitoring Unit (APGM) may file a petition on individuals in need of protection who are in facilities and no longer able to make decisions on their own and have no one who can or will act on their behalf.

The individual needing services or someone acting on the individual's behalf can call the Adult Services line at 704-920-1400 to request assistance. Requests for assistance can also be made in person.