The Cabarrus Senior Centers believe in the value of health promotion programs as a means to add life to our precious years. Throughout the Senior Centers are Fitness Centers, a Walking Trail and more:
- The Senior Centers in Concord and Mt. Pleasant, and the Kannapolis LunchPlus Club (located at Living Water Church of God) house small fitness centers available for older adults. To become eligible for use, one must complete an orientation by a certified fitness instructor. Orientations are held at different times depending upon the site. Contact the Senior Center - Concord at 704-920-3484 for times at all locations.
- Located behind the Senior Center - Concord and open to the public is a paved walking trail. In addition to the trail, there are horseshoe, shuffleboard and bocce courts and a shelter that may be reserved for outdoor activities.
If you are looking for more motivation to stay active, register for a group fitness or dance class for beginners or more advanced levels.
Fitness and Dance Classes
The Senior Centers in Concord and Mt. Pleasant offer many opportunities for exercise and movement programs daily. Similar programs are offered at the LunchPlus Clubs, located in Concord, Harrisburg, Kannapolis, Midland and Mt. Pleasant. These satellite sites offer wellness classes designed to encourage daily movement, increase muscular strength and range of motion. Class times, locations and descriptions can be found in our Sunset Outlook newsmagazine.
Behavior Modification Classes
Along with fitness, the Senior Centers offer behavior modification classes which promote positive lifestyle changes and maintenance. These classes are offered intermittently throughout the year and include:
- A Matter of Balance, a 4 to 8 week program designed to recognize and address falls prevention and increased activity levels;
- Living Healthy, a 6-week empowerment course for individuals living with chronic health conditions;
- Living Healthy with Diabetes, a highly participatory 6-week workshop designed to understand skills needed for daily management of this disease;
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program, an 8-week session of movements and exercises designed to assist in managing the symptoms of arthritis;
- Arthritis Foundation Tai Chi, a 6-week exercise program designed to improve mobility, relaxation and breathing;
Senior Health & Wellness Day
Annually, the Cabarrus County Senior Centers present a health and wellness expo to promote local health resources and wellness education to the aging community. Senior Health & Wellness Day is a day packed full of FREE information and activities, including health screenings (cholesterol, glucose, hearing, bone density, and many more), interactive educational sessions, and a great number of health and wellness related exhibitors. Seniors not only learn new information, but also enjoy fellowship among friends.
Senior Health & Wellness Day 2015
Wednesday, March 11, 2015
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Cabarrus Arena & Events Center
For more information, call 704-920-3484 or contact Makenzie Mullinax.