Economic Services

Help with Food and Nutrition, Medicaid, Special Assistance and Medicaid Transportation

Contact Information
icon of headshot
Michelle Kremer, Economic Services Program Administrator
icon of location pin

1303 S Cannon Blvd
Kannapolis, NC 28083

Business Hours


8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Holiday Schedule

The Economic Services division of the Cabarrus County Department of Human Services works in conjunction with public and private organizations to help families with food and nutritional needs. To report suspected welfare fraud in Cabarrus County, you may call the Department of Human Services at 704-920-1400 or complete this form. Due to confidentiality laws, we are not able to inform or respond to you as to the outcome or specifics of a case.


No items found.

Economic Services Call Center: 704-920-1400

Food and Nutrition Services, Debbie Kendall: 704-920-1400 or

Adult Medicaid and Special Assistance, Amy Nance: 704-920-1400 or

Family and Children's Medicaid, Heather Altman: 704-920-1400 or

Public Meetings

No Information Available


No items found.

related Resources


No items found.

Forms & Documents



Office Location

What DHS programs can help with utility bills?

There are two local programs that can help with utilities:

The Low Income Energy Assistance Program helps households that are vulnerable due to heating costs and pay a separate heating bill. You may apply January 1 through March 31. If you are age 60 or older or disabled and working with DHS Adult and Aging Services, you may apply in December. The amount of the benefit is based on the household size and income. Call 704-920-1400 for more information.

The Crisis Intervention Program provides help for households in certain circumstances, including: presence of a child five years of age or under, presence of an elderly person 60 or older, presence of a person who is ill and susceptible to a health-related emergency if heating/cooling needs are not met (documentation of the condition is required.) It is also required that the outside temperature is greater than 91 degrees for three consecutive days or below 45 degrees for two consecutive days.

How can I submit documents needed for DHS assistance?

Send necessary documents by mail or drop off at 1303 S. Cannon Blvd., Kannapolis, NC 28083, or fax them to 704-920-1401.

What should I bring when applying for Economic Services benefits?

Family & Children’s Medicaid: You do not need to bring anything to make an application. Anything that is needed will be requested at that time. Helpful items include ID, 2 proofs of residence, social security numbers, self-employment information, proof of income if new employment within last 90 days and check stubs if you have pre-tax deductions

Child Care: Necessary information includes verification that the family resides in Cabarrus County, verification of citizenship for child(ren) needing care and establishing a need for child care determined by the subsidy policy. The family also must meet the income eligibility requirements for the Subsidy Program. Additional information required varies based on the reason child care is needed. 

Adult Medicaid: We don’t require anyone to bring things with them to apply for Adult Medicaid. However, it is helpful to have a picture ID and social security number. Also, it’s good to know monthly income and information such as bank accounts, vehicles, property and life insurance policy information.

Food and Nutrition Services: You do not need to bring anything to apply. You can still complete your application and be interviewed. Necessary verification will be requested at that time. Some helpful items include name/identity, address/residency, earned income, unearned income, expenses/shelter, day care, medical expenses, immigration status, etc.

Why are my Food and Nutrition benefits delayed?

Delays can be caused by the fact that the review wasn’t turned in by the 15th day of the month. Also, it could be that mandatory verifications have not been received to process the case.

Food & Nutrition Services policy requires an annual interview to receive continued benefits.