VA Pension is an income-based program for low income veterans. These veterans must be permanently and totally disabled (or age 65). The disability must be non-service connected.
Payments increase total income to a pre-determined level set by Congress. Un-reimbursed medical expenses may reduce total income for VA purposes.
When applying, bring the following documentation:
- Original discharge or DD 214
- Spouse/dependent information including social security numbers and birth dates
- Marriage certificate
- Income information to include annual gross income and net worth
- Un-reimbursed deductible medical expenses
- Banking information: name of bank, routing number and account number
- Under age 65, medical records for disability preventing veteran from working