Nov. 3, 2013 — Join us for a visit to The Galleries, where their current exhibition, Soft Focus, is on display through Dec. 19. The exhibition includes artwork that embraces impressionistic techniques and the moderating effects of time and memory.
See exquisite vessels and forms from nationally recognized wood turners or even beautifully woven throws. View works that use expressions and color to convey fearless exploration of ideas and emotion or that expertly layer images of their subjects, conveying movement and individuality in graphite renderings. Other artists created pastel paintings that reveal love of rich, dazzling color and even Gum Bichromate, a labor-intensive photographic printing process developed in the 19th century to create fascinating one-of-a-kind images.
Also on display through Dec. 19 is Shop Seagrove and Piedmont pottery, the annual exhibition of acclaimed potters from Seagrove and Piedmont areas.
There is no admission charge to any of the activities at The Galleries. Volunteer docents are available to give you a tour and answer questions or you may enjoy the exhibition on your own. If you have children with you (or just want to have some fun with the art yourself), make sure to ask for the “I Spy” artwork scavenger hunt.
Gallery hours are Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; however, they will close for a fall holiday from Nov. 23-Dec. 1. For more information, on the Soft Focus exhibition at The Galleries, on display through Dec. 19, call 704-920-ARTS (2787) or visit cabarrusartscouncil.org.
- What ever Happened to Baby Jane, Old Courthouse Theatre, Nov. 17
- Computer basics class, Concord Library, Nov. 9
- Intro to PowerPoint class, Concord Library, Nov. 18
- International Game Day, Kannapolis and Harrisburg libraries, Nov. 16
- Craft your own Heraldry, Harrisburg Library, Nov. 18
- Concord Gun and Knife Show, Cabarrus Arena, Nov. 9-10
- Gaithers Vocal Band, Cabarrus Arena, Nov. 22
- Speedway Classic of the Carolinas Dog Show, Cabarrus Arena, Nov. 14-17
- Program for after school caregivers, Cooperative Extension Office, Nov. 10
- A Matter of Balance class, West Cabarrus YMCA, Tues. and Thurs. Oct. 29-Nov. 21
- Tanglewood Festival of Lights bus tour, leaving Kannapolis, Nov. 25
- Cabarrus County winter park hours, November-February, M-F 8-5 and S-S 9-5
- Harvest WhoDunit, North Cabarrus Park, Nov. 9
- Senior movie day – The Blind Side, Mt. Pleasant Senior Center, Nov. 12
- Veterans Day Program, Boys and Girls Club Concord, Nov. 11
- Cabarrus County Veterans Day closings, Nov. 11
- Tennis court renovation, Frank Liske Park, Through Dec. 6
- Animal shelter upgrades
- Cabarrus Municipal Elections, Nov. 5