May 6, 2013 — This week, we take you on a journey through Frank Liske Park in Concord. Located in the central part of Cabarrus County, the beautiful 200-acre park was once a working farm operated by the Stonewall Jackson Training School. The park was dedicated to Liske, who served the school for 48 years and was instrumental in acquiring the land for lease from the state for the development of the park.
The park’s large, refurbished dairy barn and silo is a popular spot for family and community gatherings and is home base for Cabarrus County’s annual summer day camp.
Park amenities include lighted tennis courts, picnic shelters and, walking, fitness, and nature trails. It has a softball complex with four lighted fields, and an 11-field soccer complex with three lighted fields. The park itself is also managed as a wildlife and nature preserve.
The lake is the perfect place to drop a line. Fishing is available from park opening to closing. Cost for a fishing permit is $1. Children ages 12 and younger may fish for free.
Paddle boating also is now open for the season. Take a cruise around the lake on a paddle boat for $2 per person, per half hour. Children ages 5 and younger can ride free with a paying adult.
Make a full day of it and take in a round of miniature golf. You can play the miniature golf course for $2 per person, per game. Children ages 5 and younger can play free with a paying adult.
Miniature golf and paddle boating is available Saturdays and Sundays from noon until 7 p.m.
Frank Liske Park is located at 4001 Stough Road and is open daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. For more information, visit www.cabarruscounty.us/parks or call 704-920-2701.
- Jiggy with the Piggy BBQ Challenge in Kannapolis, May 10-11
- N.C. Poet Laureate visits Concord Library, May 11
- Reduced-cost rabies vaccinations, May 19-25
- Girls ROCK! Girl Scout Fun Day at Camp Spencer Park, May 11
- Have your yard soil analyzed
- City of Concord Blood Marrow Drive, May 11
- Cool Breeze Heat Relief Program
- Water Striders class at Frank Liske Park, May 18
- Mommy & Me Nature Class at Cabarrus County parks, Thursdays
- Fishing lure class at Camp Spencer Park, May 18
- Senior Center Dances at Concord Senior Center, May 10 and 11
- Video game rating program at Harrisburg Library, May 8
- Small business class on organization and record keeping at Kannapolis Library, May 9
- Princess party at the Kannapolis Library, May 14
- Berenstain Bears Day celebrations at Kannapolis Library, May 11