April 29, 2013 — We recently enjoyed a beautiful day taking a stroll along one of the greenways in Concord. The City designed the Downtown Connector Greenway location to preserve and protect landscapes in the area, protect water quality in the adjacent creek and link users to several green recreation sites within a convenient proximity to Concord. This four-mile exercise adventure provides many scenic views as it connects McGee Park to McEachern Greenway along Branchview Drive and then to Les Myers Park and South Union Street, which leads you to downtown and the Village Greenway.
The Village Greenway runs through the historic Gibson Village community and offers a half-mile paved asphalt trail. The Village Greenway trail starts on Elm Avenue beside the Boys and Girls Club of Cabarrus County. There are three entrances to The Village Greenway: at the Boys and Girls Club of Cabarrus County, on Academy Avenue just past Webb Field, and on Kerr Street between Crowell Drive and Cedar Drive, next to ClearWater Artist Studios in the former city’s waterworks building.
Throughout the greenway system, you will see brick columns marking greenway entrances as well as banners and brick pavers adorned with a red lizard as greenway identifiers to help you stay on course. Doggie drinking fountains and dogi-pots are provided along the greenway to help you clean up after your four-legged walking companion.
Future Greenway phases include walking paths to the hospital area. To see a map of the greenway system and proposed trails, visit the Parks and Recreation page at www.concordnc.gov.
Other events highlighted on this week's CTW:
- Law Day at Cabarrus County Government Center, May 3
- Jiggy with the Piggy BBQ Challenge in Kannapolis, May 10-11
- Spring into Arts Festival in downtown Concord, May 4
- Kayaking class at Frank Liske Park, May 4
- Garden Helpers program at North Cabarrus Park, May 4
- Button Day craft event at Concord Library, May 9
- N.C. Poet Laureate visits Concord Library, May 11
- Wii Game challenge for teens at Cabarrus Library branches, May 6 and 11
- Nature Walk at Camp Spencer Park, May 4
- Mommy & Me Nature Class at Cabarrus County parks, May 9
- Girls ROCK! Girl Scout Fun Day at Camp Spencer Park, May 11
- Computer Workshops at Concord Senior Center, May 9, 16, 23 and 30
- Friday Night Dance at Concord Senior Center, May 3
- Geektastic Super Hero Trivia Night at Kannapolis Library, May 2
- Starpower National Talent Competition at Cabarrus Arena, May 3-4