On CTW, we visit a new canoe/kayak launch on the Carolina Thread Trail in Mt. Pleasant
May 13, 2014 -- The Pharr Family Preserve in Midland officially became a part of the Carolina Thread Trail in March and CTW hit the trail to bring you footage of the beautiful landscape.
The Carolina Thread Trail also known as The Thread, is an exciting project that’s creating a regional network of greenways, trails and blueways, with 223 miles of The Thread open to the public.
The Pharr Family Preserve Trail provides the first public access point to Rocky River in Cabarrus County. A quick 300-yard hike from the parking lot opens the river to public paddlers. Paddlers will be able to enjoy a five-mile canoe or kayak trip along the Rocky River.
In addition to public paddling access, the new Pharr Family Preserve Trail provides a hiking opportunity along a 1.75-mile natural surface trail, weaving through the preserve’s wooded area with views of the river. The trail is part of a 66-acre area preserved by the Catawba Lands Conservancy.
Preparing the new trail was a community effort. The Leadership Cabarrus Class of 2013, a program of the Cabarrus Regional Chamber of Commerce, built the canoe launch, and volunteer workers spent numerous workdays at the preserve. Support came from local companies, as well as town and county government.
Pharr Family Preserve is open daily from 7 a.m.-8 p.m. April through September and 7 a.m.-5 p.m. October through March. The Preserve Trail offers a unique place to trek through a protected forest along the scenic Rocky River. Hikers will appreciate the rich diversity of this thick forest, which contains at least 48 different species of trees. Benches are placed along the trail at scenic overlooks and resting points.
For more information about the Pharr Family Preserve, located at 9111 Mount Pleasant Road South, Midland, open daily from 7 a.m.-8 p.m. April through September and 7 a.m.-5 p.m. October through March, visit www.carolinathreadtrail.org
or call 704-376-2556.
- Research Study, UNC Nutrition Research Institute
- Council on Aging Membership Meeting, May 20, Concord Senior Center
- Bunco Day, May 21, Mount Pleasant Senior Center
- Senior Talent Show, June 4, Concord Senior Center
- Know Your Farms Tour, May 17-18, local farms in five counties
- Low Cost Rabies Vaccinations, May 21, Cabarrus Animal Shelter
- Roller Derby, May 17, Cabarrus Arena
- Tintypes, May 1-18, Old Courthouse Theatre
- McLintock Film Screening, May 22, Davis Theatre
- Gold Rush, May 31, North Cabarrus Park
- Kannapolis Outdoor Movie, May 30, Veterans Park
- Friends of Harrisburg Library Book Collection, drop-off at the Harrisburg Library
- Extracting Fruit DNA, May 20, Harrisburg Library
- Intro to PowerPoint, May 21, Kannapolis Library
- Music in May, May 22, Concord Library
- Geektastic Craft: Paper Weaving, May 22, Kannapolis Library
- Dance a Story Presents Cinderella, May 22, Kannapolis Library
- Pinterest for Beginners, May 29, Concord Library and Harrisburg Library