July 8, 2013 — We visited the Concord Museum for their latest exhibition, which pays tribute to the significant story of the Historic Cabarrus County Courthouse. The exhibition celebrates the history, architecture and story of the Courthouse through photos, articles, artwork and scrapbooks.
The Historic Courthouse was the third of four courthouses built in Cabarrus County and is among the oldest actively used non-residential buildings in the County. Originally constructed in 1876, the two-and-a-half story brick building sheathed in stucco, was originally by architect George S. H. Appleget in the styles of the Greek Revival, Italiante and Second Empire.
In 1977, the historic courthouse reopened to serve a new purpose, as a gathering place for arts and organizations in our community. Still today, the historic courthouse is a cultural hub in our community, and is home to The Cabarrus Arts Council’s galleries, the Davis Theater and the Historic Cabarrus Association’s Concord Museum.
The Concord Museum is located at 65 Union Street South in Concord in the historic courthouse. Hours are Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, call 704-920-2465.
- Summer movies and concerts around Cabarrus, July 11, 13 and 18
- Miniature Golf Tournament, Frank Liske Park, July 13
- BBQ and Baskets Disc Golf Tournament, North Cabarrus Park,
- Grand Camp, Camp Spencer Park, Aug. 14-16
- Senior Dances; Concord Senior Center
Classics – July 12
Second Time Around Band – July 13
Hi-Liters – July 19
- Senior employment program
- Universal online enrichment classes
- Summer reading program, Sea Turtles: Nest Diggers on Sandy Shores, July 16 and 17
- Meet the author with Mary Alice Monroe, Concord Library, July 9
- Zombie doll craft night, Kannapolis Library, July 18
- Ghost stories with John Tucker, Cabarrus Libraries, July 10, 17 and 24
- Concord Gun and Knife Show, Cabarrus Arena, July 13 and 14
- Open swim at Camp Spencer Park Pool, daily through Aug. 25
- Kannapolis Scholars Conference on Lifelong Nutrition for Health and Vitality, NC Research Campus or online, July 26
- Pillar Concert with Syndrome on Fire, Cabarrus arena, July 20
- Activities for the family at Frank Liske Park
- Cool Breeze Heat Relief program
- Learn more about local 4-H clubs