Oct. 29, 2013 — This week, we’re taking you to the scene of two beautiful new murals installed in Concord and dedicated on Oct. 24 to the residents of the City of Concord, in honor of its historic past and in celebration of the city it is today.
The murals began as an idea of the Concord City Council, which formed a mural committee, including members of the Council, Concord Planning Department, Concord Downtown Development Corporation and the Cabarrus Arts Council.
Charlotte artist Sharon Dowell created the mural that lines the Union-Market Passageway. The contemporary piece is titled, “Momentous: A Timeline of History Shaping Sites of Concord.” The artwork was inspired by vintage photographs of buildings that are iconic to the City. The mural was applied to the beloved downtown area with bolts that connect it to the brick walls that flank the pedestrian walkway.
The second mural was created by artist Issac Payne, also of Charlotte. The piece, titled, “Off Main Street,” is located on the Bicentennial Wall. The vision for the work is a three-dimensional scene that carries the feel of the city’s downtown area, including representations of the city’s architectural highlights, homes and people.
"Off Main Street" was originally 15'x3’. Photographer Michael O’Neill took more than 300 photos of the artwork that were blown up and sized and pieced together to create the mural, which flows 93 ft. long. The design was printed on a thick vinyl material with a sticker backing that was rolled, heated and melted onto each brick and crevice of the wall.
The murals are now part of the downtown Concord landscape and are easily accessible for public viewing. For more information on the murals, visit www.concordnc.gov
Watch this week's episode of CTW for details on the following programs and events:
- Halloween Party, Harrisburg Library, Oct. 30
- Concord Candy Crawl, Union Street, Oct. 31
- Piedmont Prime Time Band Children’s Concert, Gem Theater, Nov. 2
- Power of the Cross 1,000 Voices Concert, Cabarrus Arena, Nov. 2
- Park History Days, Frank Liske Park, Nov. 2
- Election Day, Nov. 5
- Master Gardener Volunteer Organization, Cabarrus Co. Extension Office, Nov. 5
- Harvest WhoDunit, North Cabarrus Park, Reg. by Nov. 7, Event on Nov. 9
- Apple Cider Classic Flyball Tournament, Cabarrus Arena, Nov. 2-3
- Concord Gun and Knife Show, Cabarrus Arena, Nov 9-10
- After School Caregiver Program, Cabarrus Co. Extension Office, Nov. 10
- A Matter of Balance Clas, West Cabarrus YMCA, Tues. and Thurs., Oct. 29-Nov. 21
- Zip Line Adventures with Kannapolis Parks and Rec, Asheville, Reg. by Nov. 1, Event on Nov. 11