As of December 1, 1995 residents of NC may be eligible for a permit allowing them to carry a concealed handgun under specific conditions. No other weapons can be carried concealed pursuant to this permit. Once issued, the permit is valid throughout NC for a period of 5 years, unless it is revoked. You must apply to your County's Sheriff Office in order to obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit.
Beginning June 1, 2010 the Sheriff’s Office will be accepting applications for Concealed Handgun Permits by appointment only. This applies to New and Renewal applications.
Upon completing your NC Firearms Safety Course (which must be taught by an instructor approved by the NC Training Standards Commission) contact the Sheriff’s Office at 704-920-3100 to schedule an appointment.
For NEW concealed handgun permits, bring the following to your appointment:
- Valid NC Driver’s License (showing your correct address)
- Original certificate of completion for firearms safety course
- DD-214 or similar proof of military discharge status for applicants that have previously served in the military. (one copy for every tour of duty)
If making application to RENEW a concealed handgun permit you would not need to bring another copy of your Firearms Safety Course Certificate or DD-214 form, unless you have completed another term of military service.
A criminal background check is conducted on ALL applicants. Approved applicants must (among other things):
- Be a citizen of the US (born or naturalized)
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have been a resident of Cabarrus County for the past 30 days prior to filing the application (or proof of dual residence, call for further)
- Not suffer from any physical or mental infirmity which would prevent the safe handling and operation of a firearm
- Successfully complete an approved firearms training and safety course
Concealed Handgun Permit Cost:
- First time applications - $90, non-refundable permit/fingerprint fee
- Renewal applications - $75 (if fingerprints are not on file $85)
You will be notified by phone when your permit is ready for pick up. Permits must be picked up in person at the Sheriff’s Office Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm. You must present your valid NC Driver’s License. If your permit is denied you will receive a written explanation from the Sheriff's Office within 90 days.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to renew the permit before it expires. The permit will expire at 12 am on the date listed on the card. A recently passed law (GS14-415.16(e) states if a permitee does not apply to renew the permit prior to its expiration date but does apply to renew the permit within 60 days after the permit expires, the Sheriff may waive the requirement of taking another firearms safety and training course. This does not extend the expiration date of the permit. Renewals in this case will cost $80. You can renew your permit up to 90 days prior to the expiration date. If a permit expires you may not carry your weapon concealed until a new permit has been obtained.
If moving to NC from another state, compliance with our concealed carry laws is required. The state of NC does not honor out of state permits when it comes up for renewal. Your applications will be considered new. However NC has reciprocity with other states. Those states recognizing NC's concealed handgun permittees will automatically be granted reciprocity for carrying concealed handguns within NC. The list of states granting such reciprocity recognized by NC are updated frequently.
Applicants moving from one NC County to another must apply for an address change through the county from which they are moving. To apply for an address change you must provide a NC Drivers License or NC ID with the new address.
If you have any questions regarding Concealed Handgun Permits you may contact us at 704-920-3100 or email email@example.com.